Sunday, February 16, 2020

Project Segway - T-gauge Highway Part 2

Well, the 2020 Central Train Show has come and gone. The attendance was similar to 2019 (good) and the general word from the vendors was that sales were also good. So, the show was a big success.

We ran almost the whole weekend on a single engine - changing over to a short freight towards the end led by a class 67. I have a video to get edited and posted, so when I do that I will add it to the blog.


The major addition in 2020 was the highway through the module, as seen above. The road is printed in color complete with markings on paper and laminated to first a 0.005" thick piece of styrene. To the center of the road I laminated a 0.010"x0.020" strip of styrene, and then laminated the whole thing to a 0.010" styrene strip that was cut about 1/4" wider to 1/8" wider for sidewalks. The result gave the road a subtle crown effect. Maybe too subtle , but I know it is there.

Where the sidewalks were, I laminated another piece of 0.010" styrene as a sidewalk - prepainted in a concrete color and scribed with expansion joints. A little bit of chalk weathering, and the whole things was done and I laminated it onto the layout.

Up to this point, I had followed the steps used in MR on the Canadian Canyons Layout to model Canada Highway 1. Here I messed up. I should have sprayed the road with dullcoat to seal it before mounting. I didn't. I also should have done a better job of smoothing the surface before mounting the road. As a result, I will have to do some rework on the road to eliminate a few bumps, and to fill a few extreme dips that the road and surface exposed. In T, these are all too easy to create. I do expect to be able to spray the road with dullcoat after I am done so that the scenery nearby does not ruin the road.

I will also need to adjust the pedestrian bridge. It is about an eight of an inch too far to the right in the photo above. After that, the buildings need chimneys, doors and window painted. Then, I will need to add a few driveways and little bit of road by the station and the garden houses at track level.

Cameron Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment