Monday, February 17, 2020

Project Segway - Another Bridge and Another Building

I also said I was working on another bridge for the layout. I decided that I needed something to the left of the station before the tunnel portal, and a bridge seems like a good choice. It also will allow me to add a small stream and waterfall into the layout.

I picked a deck girder bridge for the plan, and found a plan on the internet. I was able to turn this into a 55mm long bridge in T, which makes it 24.75m long (81.2') which is a good size bridge.

New 55mm Plate Girder Bridge in T-scale.

I did not plan the bridge far enough ahead of the show to have it on hand for the show, but the bridge arrived from Shapeways on Friday.

Just arrived from Shapeways.
The bridge is currently being prepped for priming. I hope to add it to the ModelWorks shope next week after I get it painted.

Along with the bridge, I also got a pair of 3D printed Pattern Makers Pins. These pins can be used to align adjacent train modules. They were used in the MR Canadian Canyons Project layout.

Pattern Makers Pins.
I haven't had a lot of luck ordering them from the same source that MR used - and I haven't found a domestic US source. So, I thought I would make some of my own. They mate with a 0.1mm tolerance (as-built). So, if installed properly, they should make it feasible to align two sections of a layout to a tight tolerance. The design is very close to being ready, but needs a little more work.

I also have one more project coming from Shapeways this week. Fresh off painting all those T houses for the layout, I decided to design one of my own, this one with interior detailing and that could be printed in kit form for easier painting by separating the walls and roof. And if I was going to do the interiors, that also meant separating the walls and floors inside.

950 sq ft T-scale house model.
I have both a kit version and an assembled version on order from Shapeways. I'm looking forward to seeing the first prototypes, and even maybe having to find a spot for them on the layout.

Cameron Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment