Monday, January 27, 2020

A Momentary Aside - Doug Midkiff

I rebooted this blog last June after my own health scare. This weekend, as I was doing a little work on the Central T-Layout, I got a message through one of my old operating group friends that a student, colleague and fellow N-scaler is going through much the same thing as I did - but his prognosis is not as hopeful as mine.

Doug and his family.
Doug Midkiff was one of the first graduate students I had as a professor. Not only was he a great student, but I soon learned that he was a model railroader and an N-scaler. I soon got Doug involved in a local operating layout I had joined and we remained in contact until I changed jobs a few years ago. In fact, Doug encouraged me to produce an innocuous little part for some N-scale engines he was painting and detailing, and that helped lead to me starting a Shapeways store. Amazingly enough, this little detail is by far my best selling item....not that it will let me retire from the proceeds ... ever.

Rock Island Cooling Assemblies
I learned this weekend that Doug has developed stage 4 colon cancer and has been placed in hospice care. While we pray for the best, we know that there is an uphill fight ahead for Doug. Doug has a wife and young daughter. They have started a GoFundMe page to help cover some expenses. As of this morning they are almost 2/3rds of the way to their goal.


Please pass the link along and consider whether you can find a little hobby money to help them.


All our prayers go out to you and your family Doug.

Cameron Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment