Sunday, November 10, 2019

A Momentary Aside - A little HOn2z Progress

Sometimes, even the best plans go amiss. Yesterday, was the NMRA Palmetto Division of the NMRA fall meeting. I had planned on going, but a combination of a tweeked back and not feeling particularly well led me to pass on the meeting.

One of my goals, going back even before my surgery has been to earn my Master Model Railroader (MMR) certification. Not because I feel the need to demonstrate my skills, but as a means of improving them. While I primarily model in N-scale, I dabble in Z, T and in HOn2z (2' gauge, HO scale using Z-scale track). And I cannot confirm or deny the presence of some On30 in my basement either. But it is the HOn2z that I am taking an aside to discuss today.

I had been thinking about bringing my HOn2z projects tot he meeting to show, but alas, I do not have things at a point where I want to show them yet. Most are incomplete, but I thought I might preview a couple of pictures.

Gilpin Gold Tram Ore Car.
 Most of my efforts are focused towards the Gilpin Gold Tram, a 2' gauge line that ran out of Central City and Blackhawk, Colorado.  Despite being HO scale, the cars are similar in size to N-scale cars, and they ride on Z-scale trucks and track. The cars are all being 3D printed and then I am assembling them and finishing them. The ore car above has just had the two cross bars that connected to the chains the connected to the doors of the ore car. There is still some work to be done, but the car is making progress.

Gilpin Rail Car.
The latest car to get started is this Gilpin rail car. Basically an open frame used to move sections of rail and steam boilers along the line, I printed this car primarily in brass to get sufficient weight on the car.

More of the fleet.
And the rest of the fleet. There is a water car (upper left), a stake bed flat car (left), 2 more typed of ore cars (middle), a gondola (upper right) and several flat car frames are all under construction. It is nice to have something to do when I do not want to work on planning, and maybe this will even lead to yet another little layout project. Stay tuned!


20 days to go. 20 Posts to go!

Cameron Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment