Tuesday, December 31, 2019

A Review of the 2019 – Previewing 2020



I had actually hoped to post a few more entries before getting to this post, but the year is ending on me, and I have not even reached the end of the Moffat layout yet. So, let's have a little review.

Technically, the year began with some updates on the Central T-gauge Layout and its latest showing. And then my health took a bad turn. That layout sits as it did after the show last year, although it is showing a little bit of peeling of the backdrop, it is otherwise unchanged - and the annual show for its display is coming up. If you are in the Easley, South Carolina area on February 7th and/or 8th, please check out the Central Train Show.



I got back to blogging in June, 3 months after my surgery. Since then, I have focused a great deal on the design of a couple of layouts, including my future Moffat layout. With this post, I have posted 11 times in July, August, September, October and December, and every day in November. A whopping 88 posts since June 22nd.

As far as model railroading progress, I only have a little beyond the planning stages. I'm hoping to finish installing the bookshelves in my office over the winter break, as a prerequisite to the Olympia iN the Office layout, which you can read about beginning here.


In addition, I designed the signals for Bob Folsom's layout, and hopefully will see those operational this year. They will be coming to Shapeways in the New Year.

Beyond that, a lot of time has been spent on the entries describing the layout plan. This is a good thing, as the research to support the blog posts has led to more information about the layout.

So, what is the plan for 2020?

With the train show upcoming, I have a number of items I should tackle for the T-layout. These include:
  • Installation of the pedestrian bridge;
  • Repair of the backdrop;
  • Installation of the roads;
  • Weathering of the two viaducts;
  • Painting of the buildings; and
  • Starting the ground cover.
Finally, I should get the T in Central Blog going, so that the club can link to the blog specifically about the T layout.

On the Moffat Layout, I also have a number of things to do:
  • Finish the blog about the design - I actually have a lot more progress than what I have described so far, so I am playing a little bit of catch up here; and
  • Start prioritizing projects that will lead to parts of the layout.
And in general for my model railroading, I hope to:
  • Select some short term mini-layouts that may either lead to the Moffat Layout, or will test out ideas for the Moffat Layout, or will just be fun, more on these to come as I also have some ideas floating around;
  • Finish my HOn2z cars for the next NMRA regional meeting as part of getting my MMR; 
  • Start designing the accompanying HOn2z engines; and
  • Have fun.
In that spirit - here is something to share for the season.


So, in the mean time - Happy New Year to all, and may your Model Train Dreams be bright!

Cameron Turner

No comments:

Post a Comment