Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Starting the Journey...

http://www.corailroads.com/2013_12_01_archive.html
I grew up in Colorado, down the road from the Big 10 Curves, the Tunnel District and the Moffat Tunnel. I camped on Tennessee Pass, ate in the Turntable Cafe, and watched the Denver and Rio Grande Western roll through Glenwood Canyon (pre- I-70). I road the Durango and Silverton in 1982, remember seeing coal trains through Steamboat Springs, and later discovered Soldier Summit, the hospitality of Helper, and the beauty of the Utah desert.

I guess it makes sense that when I chose a road to inspire my model railroading, the Rio Grande was high on my list. I used to live in Colorado, but having left that state, I find my mind returning to memories of Colorado, and now that I have space for a layout, an understanding spouse, and an agreement to build a layout in part of our basement and garage, I have decided to start this blog to share my thoughts as I depart on this grand journey.

So, what do I want in a layout?

Well, I want the layout to support operations, yet still capture some of the scenic beauty that I recall from my youth. I've been in N-scale for a couple of decades now, and so I have a fair amount of equipment in 1:160, and I have operated multiple layouts in N-scale, so I am convinced that it is feasible. I am sure I can make a better list than this.

My space is pretty good, but not huge. One room is about 300 square feet, but is constrained on two sides that will require access through the layout area. The other is about 450 square feet, but needs work before the layout can be installed, and also has two constraints requiring access on one edge, and in one corner. The two rooms can be connected by opening up a wall, but the resulting opening would likely be limited to 32" or less. Not ideal to pass an operator through, let alone an operator and a train. Furthermore, given the configuration, I would really like to build the layout(s) in 3 phases.

Phase 1 would be a smaller, self contained layout in the more layout ready of the two rooms.There is some remodeling work needed in the first smaller room, but depending upon the layout design, this task is very manageable. Ideally, this would produce a layout which could operate within a year or two while the space for Phase 2 is prepared.

Phase 2 requires a fair amount of prep work. There is some plumbing to move, a water heater to replace with an on-demand hot water system, a concrete floor to seal, a ceiling to install, and a wall to build to allow me to isolate and properly condition the space. I'm looking at Phase 2 as a bigger layout which could be built over a decade or so, but once "complete" and operable, I would have the option of extending it into the Phase 1 space.

Phase 3 would be that extension of the Phase 2 layout into the Phase 1 space. It is also possible that Phase 3 might be an extension into other existing space, but that is far from certain. No matter. At this time, the idea is to ensure that the Phase 2 design has the possibility of be extended into a third phase yielding my dream layout.

So, right now I am thinking about those options, for what may constitute my modeling focus in Phases 1, 2 and 3. And I have a number of ideas. Right now, I just want to offer a list:


  1. D&RGW Moffat Line (Denver to the Moffat Tunnel and Beyond)
  2. D&RGW Craig Branch (Bond to Craig)
  3. D&RGW Tennessee Pass (Pueblo to Minturn/Dotsero)
  4. D&RGW Soldier Summit
  5. D&RGW Belt Line
  6. Freelance "D&RGW-like" Line combining elements of the above
  7. D&RGW Marshall Pass Line (Nn3)
  8. RGS/D&RGW in Nn3 (Durango-Ridgeway/Silverton)
  9. Freelance Rio Gorre Northern in Nn3 (based on Colorado and Western NG lines)
  10. Colorado Central in Nn3 (Denver through Golden to Silver Plume/Central City)
  11. Wildcards...


That is 11 ideas, covering a lot of possibilities. Frankly, I am not sure what to pick. But I have some time to play with ideas before I can break ground on building the dream. I have a career goal that I promised my wife I would achieve before I start on this project, so right now I am limited to a bit of dreaming. But in those dreams, I want to explore these options and see what may yet come.

In my next posts, I want to layout my ideas in a bit more detail. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment